Saturday, July 16, 2011

I Broke my Piggy Bank!

Today, I broke my piggy bank (figuratively). After six months of putting my leftover coins during the day, I almost collected 500 dirhams (equivalent to 6,000 pesos). Not bad for someone who is just putting all the coins left in his pocket at the end of a wonderful day.


About a year ago, I bought a penny box with Spiderman draped all over its skin. It's the only available penny box that suits me because all other kinds of penny box are for females. You have Barbie, Dora, Sailormoon and Hello Kitty. Everyday, I am putting all my coins there at the end of the day.



After six months, my wife went to the Candy Store located in Dubai Mall together with her friends. My wife likes going to that store whenever she is in Dubai Mall. It's one of her therapy actually. When they went to the Candy Store which is just opposite the Aquarium, she remembers me. And since she knows that I am fond of saving even the smallest amount of money, she bought this gigantic Hershey you can see at the left. At first glance, you will mistaken it as a giant Hershey full of chocolate syrup. If you will not weigh it and check the slit at the tip of the bottle, you will not think that it is a penny box.


The 500 dirhams coins we saved were used to purchase 3 grams of gold. My wife went to gold souk and purchased 3 grams of gold coins. She kept the receipt and hide the coins 100 meters below the sea level (just kidding). 




Small Things Carried Out Everyday Produces Stunning Results Overtime
       Did you ever dream of becoming a millionaire someday? Most probably, the answer is yes. Perhaps you want to help your parents when they are old or send your siblings to school. Or maybe you want to take care of your future and establish a college plan for your children. Or perhaps your uncle is so poor his life entirely depends on your generosity. There are millions of reasons why a person is dreaming of becoming a millionaire someday. Or maybe you are struggling in your finances right now and you want to get out of your situation. The quick solution is to buy a lotto ticket and hope that you could be the lucky winner of the million pesos jackpot. Or go to Eat Bulaga or Happy, Yipee, Yehey gameshow and hopes that ladyluck will strike you.


There is nothing wrong in hoping but the chances of winning the lotto jackpot is almost nil. The percentage of winning the jackpot is .0000002%. There are no quick riches. In fact some lotto winners lives are worse after a few years than when they did not won. I am not saying you should not buy a lotto ticket, you sure can buy but do not depend on luck to become a millionaire. Create your own luck. Luck is nothing but the marriage of preparation and opportunity. 


Breaking my penny box will surely not result to millions but it is a good starting point for me. I remember this words from Ralph Emerson Waldo,Sow a thought and you reap an action; sow an act and you reap a habit; sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character and you reap a destiny.  It is the habit of valuing money which in turns forms part of of your character. 


Piggy Bank Savings Enough to buy 3 Grams of Gold Coins
 If for 20 years my wife will keep buying 3 grams of gold every six months from the penny box, she will accumulate 120 grams of gold total. At the current price of 177 dirham per gram, that is equivalent to 21, 240 dirhams (more or less 250,000 pesos). Not bad for someone throwing his coins in the penny box. Obviously, if these coins can generate some money in the future, how much more when you save a big chunk of your salary in your savings account. We are not talking about coins here anymore who can generate 250,000 pesos in 20 years but paper money whom you can accumulate to become a millionaire someday.


I am sure you we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment