Friday, June 1, 2012

COL's Gain or Loss%


I received an email from Josef asking why the Gain/Loss % of the new COL Financial Group website is different from the old one.

Here is a part of the email:

Bro question, nito ko lng kc na-try yung new COL website. Ask ko lng why di ngtatally yung % ng Gain/Loss and also amount pag pinag-compare ko old and new site.

Before anything else, I just wanted to clear that I am not in any way or whatsoever affiliated or connected with COL Financial Group (formerly Citiseconline).  I am just an investor cum trader and I’m using them as my stockbroker.

When COL Financial Group advised that they are going to change the website name from Citiseconline.com to Colfinancial.com, I waited for it. Did you notice the countdown from the Home tab of Citiseconline.com before? It was called CitisecOnline Evolution. CitisecOnline’s legal name is now COL Financial Group.

When the countdown to the CitisecOnline Evolution ended, I immediately tried to use colfinancial.com. Just like in every new thing that I encountered, I felt naïve while navigating the pages of the new website of Citiseconline. I felt that I like the old website. However, as I continue to use colfinancial.com as the days went on, I appreciate the new features embodied in every pages of colfinancial.com. I like the quicklinks and, the ticker tape that hovers above the tabs. The watchlist can accommodate more than 10 stocks now, and when you buy or sell a stock the amount that appears is net of taxes already and the net total is being simultaneously calculated while typing your number of shares you want to buy or sell. The gainers and losers are in the home page already. The…ok, I’ll stop it because you might think that I am a marketer of COL Financial Group (I would like to stop identifying them Citiseconline as the Company and prefer to call them COL Financial or COL because they have legally changed their company name already.)

And one of the changes is in the Gain/Loss % which is what bothering Josef in the new website.

I checked the old and new website and indeed there is a discrepancy between the Gain/Loss % between the two. Apparently it is all because of the taxes and fees.

Below is a screenshot of the old and new website and I am putting xx in the number of shares and amount because I do not want to divulge how many shares I bought.

OLD WEBSITE (Citiseconline.com)
Action
Stock Code
Market Price
Ave. Price
% Gain/Loss
BUY | SELL
PHES
0.64
0.6621
-3.34%



NEW WEBSITE (Colfinancial.com)
Action
Stock 
Market 
Average 
%Gain/
Code
Price
Price
Loss
BUY | SELL
PHES
0.64
0.6621
-4.11%

Did you notice the difference in the Gain/Loss %? The Gain/Loss% in the new website (colfinancial.com) is ALWAYS higher than the old website (citiseconline.com). 

In the old website (citiseconline.com), the taxes and fees are not included in the computation.

In the new website (colfinancial.com), the taxes and fees upon selling the stocks were taken into account in the computation of Gain/Loss%.

So if you see a positive gain or loss in the new website, it means that those profits are ALL YOURS because all the taxes and fees are included already in the Gain/Loss%.

The taxes and fees involved are:
FEE
COMPUTATION
Selling Price
Selling Price x .25%
Commission
Selling Price x .25%
VAT
Commission x 12%
PSE Trans Fee
Selling Price x .005%
SCCP
Selling Price x .01%
Sales Tax
Selling Price x .5%
       Total Fees/Taxes


 Normally, when I sell a stock I am still computing the taxes and fees so that I know how much I earned or lost in that stock. With the new website, the Gain/Loss% is really your gain or loss.
So if you are asking which one I prefer, I am choosing the new website (colfinancial.com).





10 comments:

  1. I wonder where does this prepaid charges goes. Maybe they invest it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, they are not getting these charges from you while your stocks are still with you. Only when you sell your stocks that the charges will be deducted. COL just want to show how much is your gain or loss IF you will sell the stock at any given point in time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the percentage gain/loss computed on a day-to-day or month-to-month basis?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello po, tanong ko lang po sana if merong changes nito ngayon kasi i tried their computation, di po tugma ang percentage :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for explaining this. I've just started an account with COLFinancial and I just couldn't understand the Gain/Loss column. Fortunately your post came up in Google. It actually makes a lot of sense for them to factor in the tax computations in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks... to this blog muntik na akong mag sent ng big question sa helpdesk ng COLfinancial regarding this gain/loss matter

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. This is of great help as I started to check on how do COL compute this values. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi po pls help me to explain these words,average cost,market value and the total cost example i bought stocks at 165 and its last price is 164 then the average price is 167.2, then the market value is 1609 because I have 10 shares,then the total cost is 1672.65.my question is how much i earn with this i am losing or gaining?it says profit/loss -63.49 and the %P/L is 3.80%.please help me.thanks to this blog hope u can help me to explain this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. please send me a screenshot of your stock at skyrainph@gmail.com?

      Delete