Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The OFW Investor


naiaI've been an Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) for almost five years now. I was hired by a General Trading and Construction Company here in Dubai. Five years ago, I dropped my resume to several agencies in Manila hoping that one of them will call me and eventually will land that opportunity of working abroad and earn a very high income. One evening at around 10 pm, an unnamed caller rang my phone and ask me if I am available for interview. At that time, I thought this was just one of those guys looking for a victim to get some money from me. As the interview went on, my doubt disappeared and I got pretty excited.

naiaIn just seven days after that interview, I was off to the airport saying goodbye to my loved ones. Since it was my first time to go abroad, I was so nervous! I only have my visit visa with me and would you believe this, two 1000 peso bill in my wallet. Yes,it's kinda suicidal but my guts and faith that I have are overwhelming. The agency told me that I can cash advance upon my arrival and will just deduct it from my salary. They told me that somebody will pick me up in the airport. I just kept on praying.
Perhaps you are wondering on why the hell did I not borrow to have some money especially on cases like this where you are on your own, not knowing what kind of Company I will have. I don't know also why I did that. But here's one thing I know, I have the most beautiful and wonderful parents in the world. They send us to private schools and along the way incurred debts and loans. And while going to the immigration, I promised myself that my parents while they are still here will not not incur loans and debts. And so my journey to financial freedom for myself and my parents began.

The+Colorful+Library+of+an+Interaction+Designer+%28Juhan+Sonin%29+%2F+20100423.7D.05887.P1+%2F+SMLI began to buy books on stock investing, I hired a mentor and just keep on learning along the way.

In this blog, I wanna share what I have learned in the stocks, and real estate and all things about investing to all the unsung heroes(OFW) out there who by our collective efforts make our country proud.

First World Philippines? We've got to start dreaming and believing!


4 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing! i'm inspired by your blog and I do have a vision as well of First World Philippines... and btw, i'm an OFW too based in Dubai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. classmate, salamat. sana dumami pa ang mga mangangarap na pinoy na balang araw e aasenso tayo hindi lang sa materyal na bagay kundi sa kultura, kaibigan at manatili ang malalim na tiwala sa Taas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey colleague nice blog. Nice blog bro. Sana nga maishare din natin ang kaalaman ng pag-invest sa stock market. Feel free to check my blog din www.investinginphilippines.blogspot.com

    Salamat

    ReplyDelete
  4. salamat pre. i'm just starting on this. i may need your help and will check your blog from time to time.

    ReplyDelete