Sunday, May 22, 2011

Public Market vs Stock Market!

My lovely mother is going to the palengke every morning. I remember when I was on vacation last year, she will drag us with the car with our eye booger still stuck into it. Me and my wife would sit into the backside of the car and let our eyes slowly closed off  for five minutes because our house is just a stone throw away from the wet market. My mother will go and buy some fishes, vegetables, meat and fruits. One day, I told my mom, "Ma, I want kare-kare." My loving mother said" There is no beef's tripe here, we need to go to Porac market to buy that one". And off we go, after minutes of driving, we arrived at the Porac market. My mom went immediately to my uncle's stall for some free fruits of course. After a few chatting, we went to the meat area and found the beef tripes. Lunch has been wonderful back home.

Whenever I read broadhseets every morning and stumble upon the business section, I wonder how can I approach the stock market. If the wet market is readily available for the public, why the stock market which is supposedly be a public market is so far fetched from my hands. I do not even know how much is the stockbrokers fee and how can I buy these so called blue-chip companies. I searched the newspapers on how this stock market works but finds nothing. I went to Angeles City hoping that I would bump into a stockbroker. But then again, I have only 10,000 pesos in my pocket and even if I found one stockbroker, I doubt it if he will entertain me with my current money. No, stock market is not for me.It is only for Ayala family, Lopez family, Sy family, Gokongwei family, Tan family, Razon family, and Uychengco family. Stock market is so unreal for me. Besides, I do not know what is this High, Close, Open is all about. Perhaps, just teach me to do the close-open thing for the baby and I will do it. "Close-open, close-open, close-open, beautiful eyes baby." That one is easy for me.

Obviously, stock market is not as spreadout as the wet market. It is not readily available to the masses. If you want to buy PLDT, the common questions is how and where?In fairness to PSE, they are trying to educate the people by going to provinces and teach people about stock market. I just don't know where and when they are conducting the seminars. Unless you are the type who really wants to venture in the stock market, more often than not, you will not know the seminars being conducted by PSE. Whenever I'm in Pampanga, nobody mentions the word stock market to me. According to statistics, 99% of Filipinos invest their money in banks. Only 1% are into stock market. If our population is 90 million, then only 900,000 Filipinos are investing in the stock market. What does this mean, only few Filipinos really understand the stock market. Only few of us are confident in putting our money in it. Why? Because there are no information available in t. Have you watched a soap opera about stock market or a commercial about stock market? Never! Or how about listening to a radio about stock market? We never had it. The only real source of information are the broadsheets like Manila Bulletin, Philippine Star, and Philippine Daily Inquirer. But these newspapers do not tell people how to invest in the stock market. What do they publish? They publish articles, charts, big corporations as if the public at large have a deep interest in the stock market.
Our generation has been blessed with a lot information within reach. It is the Information Age now where everything can be known through the internet. We must use this advantage to learn as much as we can and use those information for our own personal benefits.

Yes, stock market is not readily available before but through persistent research and investigations done through the internet, the information is right there in front of you waiting to be tapped for your own benefit.

Wet market is accessible to the common masses. Stock market is accessible also. We just need to make an extra effort to research about the stock market. In the end, it is how you adjust yourself to the current situation we are in now in order to succeed in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment